Saturday - Part 1 Robin Falls and Pine Creek

Sunday, 3 December 2017
Pete and I had a marvellous weekend. I have broken Saturday into two entries and will probably do the same for Sunday, as both days were very full days. After breakfast, of which Pete partook enthusiastically, we packed an overnight bag and headed for Katherine, NT.  I told Pete, when he asked, that I was happy to divert off the Stuart Highway to see whatever he wanted to show me.

Our first stop was Robin Falls, which are on the way to Daly Crossing, not that we went to Daly Crossing, it was another hour or so passed Robin Falls. A short drive to a parking area on an unsealed track, passable in Pete's Nissan car is the start of a very unassuming, unmarked track. Pete said it was about 300 or so metres up this track, to the falls. The track follows alongside a pretty little stream, which in the wet, I am sure becomes a not so pretty little stream, but more of a raging small river, swallowing the ground alongside it.  If you walked slowly and quietly, you could hear lizards scurrying off the path and I actually managed to get quite close to this little fella.

The falls did not have a lot of water coming over them, as the wet season hasn't really hit yet, in fact, since I've been here, there has not been any rain in Darwin and usually at this time of year, it rains daily, even if it is only a downpour for 10 mins. Even so, the falls are pretty. We met and chatted to another couple at the falls, who are on the start of their 6 month trial "caravaning around Australia". The humidity up by the falls was horrendous, with my shirt ending up so wet from sweat, I took it off and hung it over the sun visor for a while to dry out in the car air conditioning.




We climbed half way up the falls, however Pete tells me when he came, he climbed right to the top. I had on very old, much loved shoes, that no longer have any tread on them, so they weren't really climbing safe, so we elected not to go further this time. 







From Robin Falls, we took the scenic route back to the Stuart highway and then diverted again briefly to Pine Creek, to look at the old mining equipment and an old steam train. We also had a snack from our pack lunch while there.  I love Boab trees and was so pleased to see these two young ones there. I can't wait till I get to see gigantic ones growing somewhere.  I have no idea what this equipment did, even though Pete explained some of it to me, went in one ear and out the other. I did think it would great in a garden though - make a real talking feature.




I'd love these in my garden. 

Build 1877 in Manchester, England
Pete and I both decided, when we do our big trip around Australia, we are going to divert off the main road whenever we see a sign pointing to something or road that looks like there may be something interesting at the end of it, instead of just concentrating on getting to our destination. We also agreed we will stop for photo opportunities whenever either of us sees something we want a photo of.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my blogs, so please leave a comment. Thanks

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Back to Top