First tomato truss of the season

Monday, 24 July 2017
I picked the first truss of tomatoes the other day. Only the bottom tomato of the truss was showing good colour, the other three had some colour and the fifth none, but the truss was so heavy, it had pulled the whole plant down the stake and was resting on the ground. There are another 8 trusses on that plant, 5 already bagged to protect them from insect attack and 3 more still setting tomatoes. I'll bag them soon. Unfortunately I have lost the tag on that bush, but I'm pretty sure it's called Mortgage Lifter, a heritage tomato. The truss weighs 1026 gm and the largest tomato, the one in my hand is 260 gm. I'm very happy with them. I think feeding them weekly with the worm "wee" from my worm farm is the secret to growing good strong plants that are then able to bear good large flavorsome tomatoes.



I picked another single tomato off another plant tonight and have two more trusses colouring up on another bush. Soon I'll be swimming in tomatoes. I'll half and freeze a number of them, make a batch of sauce as soon as I have three kilo's ready to go and give some away.  in total I have 10 plants, a lot less than I used to grown in New Zealand. My record was 21, mostly heritage types, including, white, yellow, black, pink, green, striped and red. Next year, I'll grow a bigger selection.

3 comments:

  1. Mum grows cherry tomatoes and we love them. Hard to stop popping them in your mouth on the way back to the kitchen. How do you freeze your tomatoes and what are they like once defrosted?
    I'm certainly not an expert but I agree the worm wee is a big winner.
    Well done.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cut them in half Kylie and free Flow freeze them and then vacuum pack in 3kg lots for sauce. They are fine to make sauces with or put in casseroles when thawed, but not for anything else.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe your picking tomatoes already. I always fresh freeze and use them in casseroles and then I just throw them in frozen and they are great used that way.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my blogs, so please leave a comment. Thanks

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Back to Top