I was a bit horrified to read about the leeches, but due to the dry conditions, fortunately, none seemed to be around, which I was very very thankful for.
We walked the Delicia Rd Circuit.
| One of the many fallen giants. |
It ambled through bush and forest tracks and was easy walking. The bush is so peaceful to walk through, if you can get the humans to be quiet, that is. We briefly glimpsed a wallaby bounding off, scared away by the chatter of the ladies, I imagine and I saw a small snake, slither quickly away into the undergrowth - I kept quiet about that one, didn't want to scare the kiwi's too much.
We had a brief stop for morning tea and I had a quiet chuckle to myself, as out came the "throw" to put over the log, I did wonder if the wine and cheese was going to appear next, however, it didn't, just chai latte in a thermos.
| At the top of the Mary Valley |
Going down was good, however, with every downhill, there is usually an uphill and we weren't disappointed. Up, up, up we went.
| Here they come, up, up, the track towards the road. |
The walk from the road back to the cars was 2.6 km's of gravel road going uphill. The first 1 km of the road felt like it was straight up. A man and his son stopped beside us and commented on how hard the 'going' was and said they'd stop on their way back and give us a ride to our car. Unfortunately by the time they came back we were only 30 m's from our cars, but he stopped and congratulated us on our effort - very kind of him - I think.
Anyway, after driving down to pick up the ladies and they saw the climb back to the cars, they were very thankful they hadn't had to walk it. We retreated to a cafe in Mapleton for a cuppa and then off home. It was a lovely hot shower for me and some delightful smelling rub into my calf muscles; they were feeling that climb.
It's a good place for training for the Kokoda Challenge and I'll be back there.
What lovely scenery you would have seen, Lyndie. I have to start from scratch again with getting fit as the flu stopped me in my tracks. I was quite fit after our trip to Caloundra as we did a lot of walking and were in a unit 3 floors up so had 48 stairs to negotiate each time we went out. No lifts there.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure it won't take you long to build up to where you were with your fitness Nanna Chel - muscle memory and all that. I really enjoy walking in the bush, as long as I don't think about all the spiders that are lurking, waiting to drop on me:)
DeleteCheers