One pan Chicken and Sweet Potato dish

Wednesday, 1 November 2017
Yesterday I dropped my Aunt at a private hospital to have some BCC's removed her nose. Unfortunately, they couldn't be "burnt" off, instead she had to have the skinned peeled back off her nose, the bcc's cut out, skin stitched back on. Only day surgery. The irony was, it was Halloween, however, I don't think she found the suggestion that she didn't need to dress up to go 'trick or treating' very funny, given she wasn't feeling that wonderful. I'd put a photo up of her nose and blackening eyes, but then I wouldn't survive to continue this blog :)

Once I'd picked her up - three hours after dropping her off, I stayed with her as she wasn't allowed to be alone last night. Mind you, I had such a great sleep, I wouldn't have heard her if she needed me anyway, but I did cook her a yummy tea. I found this recipe online somewhere a while ago and have made it a few times, tweaking it to suit myself and what I have in the fridge.

One Pan Chicken and Sweet Potato Dish

500 gm Chicken Thighs - diced up into bite sized pieces
1 medium sweet potato - diced up smallish
1 onion, chopped finely
garlic - to suit your taste
1 to 2 cups chicken stock - I use homemade
Broccoli - sliced
salt and pepper
Oil for frying
Grated cheese

Add oil to pan (one that can go under the grill of the oven as well as on the rings) and once hot add chicken. Brown on both sides. Remove from pan. Don't worry about the liquid that has probably come out of the chicken. Into this liquid, put onion and garlic and fry for a couple of minutes.  Here, I put in additions, such as red capsicum (diced), mushrooms, cut in quarters or slices, green beans - broccoli  and the sweet potato. Fry for a couple of minutes then add the already cooked chicken and stock. Put lid on pan and let simmer until chicken and sweet potato are cooked - about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, sprinkle over grated cheese and place under the grill. Sometimes I cheat and steam the broccoli and add it at the end, same with the beans. If you want you can serve this as is or with quinoa or rice. I like it on its own. I allow 45 minutes from start to finish for this dish and sometimes I prepare everything earlier in the day and keep it in the fridge, ready to cook when I get home.

My Aunt loved it and I made enough for her to have it for tea tonight as well. I left the cheese off tonight - I couldn't figure her oven out :(

Ready to eat. 

3 comments:

  1. I like your sense of humour Lyndie. I hope your aunt is recovering well.
    Thanks for the recipe too. Simple and nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how your aunt must feel after surgery on her nose. I had what was thought to be a BCC cut out earlier in the year and ended up with swelling and a black eye and then the results showed it was a sauamous cell carcinoma as well so the doc went back in through the incision and cut out more. I was lying there wondering just how deep you can go on a nose :-) Thankfully she got it all as I was going to be asked to be knocked out if I had to have further surgery. I was a sight for sore eyes. I hope your aunt recovers well, Lyndie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it was Chel, two Sauamous cell carcinoma's, not BCC's, which is why she had to have the more radical surgery. Hopefully they have got it all out. I'm back there tonight to stay with her again, my cousin, her son, stayed with her last night. Cheers Lyndie

      Delete

I love to hear your thoughts on my blogs, so please leave a comment. Thanks

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Back to Top